RASV Beef Week Heifer Challenge
$3000 for Champion - $1500 for Reserve Champion
This competition has generated additional interest and discussion from stud and commercial producers who were keen to see the quality of a stud's future breeders.
A single judge will ASSESS ALL ENTRIES on their BEEF WEEK DAY.
The 10 finalists will be announced and the champion and reserve champion named at a special dinner soon after Beef Week ends.
- Each entry to consist of 10 registered heifers (from primary or secondary registers) from the 2016 drop. This opens the competition for both autumn and spring calving herds.
- An entry may consist of a mix of primary and secondary registered heifers.
- A primary register is for fully 'herd book' registered animals. Because 30% of registered cattle in Australia now reside in secondary registers, it is deemed appropriate they should be included.
- A secondary register, according to the Australian Registered Cattle Breeders' Association (ARCBA), covers animals that are bred for seedstock production and recorded by a beef breed society but excluding animals entered on the society's herd book.
- The judge, who will visit each entrant on their Beef Week day (except for unexpected circumstances) will announce their arrival and may request the age range of the heifers.
- Breedplan figures are not required and will not be taken into consideration.
- Each entry to be of one breed type. Horned and poll heifers can be included in the one entry or as separate entries.
- The heifers should be yarded in a confined area and clearly identified as an entry with special pen cards supplied by Beef Week.
The judging criteria will be based on:
- Breed characteristics
- Maternal potential
- Feet and legs
- Overall presentation and physical correctness
- Should an entry be withdrawn, entrants must notify Beef Week on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0411 413 599 so the judge can readjust the tight itinerary.
- Within 24 hours of the end of Beef Week 10 finalists will be named and advised and invited as special guests to a presentation dinner in central Victoria where presentations will be made to the finalists and the champion and reserve champion announced.
- Stock & Land will provide an extensive coverage of this event.
- Entry fee is $50 per entry.